Jan 23, 2010

Part 2 of my Crafty Chics Night


I get together with my girlfriends every month for craft night.  January was my month to host and we made these magnets pictured above.  I call this Part 2 because after finishing Part 1, I found that I liked the smaller magnets better.  It is easier to do and takes less glue to make them.  My sister gave me a few of her favorite blogs that had these ideas on them.  I can in no way claim this idea for my own but I thought I might give a little tip from the inside on the best way to go about creating your own magnets starting with a quick guide below

  If you can get your hands on an old scrabble board game, thats what I used in the picture above.  Then you get some cute paper, apply, glue the paper onto the tile using modge podge, seal the paper so it won't bleed into the glaze with modge podge.  When your tiles have dried, generously apply the glaze which is essentially a glossy glue that is called DIAMOND GLAZE, I did not find them in any craft store, and I mean not one craft store in Salt Lake County, you name it I went there, Michaels, Roberts, Joann's and I even tried a few scrapbook stores.  I ended up buying online at one of my new favorite stores, www.etsy.com.  However, later I found that ebay also sold DIAMOND GLAZE.  It tends to be pricey, I ordered a small 4 ounce bottle and it went a long ways for me.   A helpful tip I found when applying the glaze, was let the glue flow slowly otherwise you get bubbles that show up on your magnet.  I applied it generously so that it gives it that bubbly look.  Some people have used epoxy resin as well but I don't recommend it if you don't have the patience for it.  If you try the resin I would love to know how easy it is.

So thats it girlies, and I say girlies because I know that the ladies only ever look at blogs.  I would be suprised to hear if a MAN read this.

PEACE OUT

3 comments:

Tahnie said...

They turned out SO good! I am still trying to figure out what I want to do this month.

Anthony & Lauri said...

Tahnie you need to add me to your blog of authorized users.

Heres my email.

leeribez@gmail.com

Jenny Hart Turk said...

You are so creative! They turned out so cute!